A few simple insights for a better iced matcha
The key to a great iced matcha is making sure you get total immersion of the matcha into the water. We have two methods for you to try.
For a larger volume, chuggable iced matcha - we recommend the following method.
- Sift 2g of matcha into a thermos or cocktail shaker. Note: Sifting helps remove clumps in the matcha caused by static electricity - and this means no clumps in the bottom of your drink.
- Add around 8oz of room temperature spring water (or at a minimum filtered water) and fasten the lid tightly. Note: Room temperature water does a better job of creating foam than ice cold water.
- Shake vigorously for about 20 seconds
- Pour over ice - always make sure to pour out the entire serving of iced matcha - the foam really comes at the end!
- For a latte, increase the amount of matcha to 3g and use 5oz of water - follow the method above. After pouring over ice you can add 3oz of your choice of milk.
For very high quality matcha, we recommend the following method.
- Add 2g of sifted matcha to your thermos - add 2oz of hot water at about 180F.
- Shake vigorously for 20 seconds.
- Open the thermos and add several ice cubes. Shake for another 20 seconds.
- Strain the matcha into a smaller cup or tea bowl.
- You’ll notice a more refined texture and creamier profile.